My Last Day
After 8 years in the corporate world August 31st was the last day at my job. This was a bitter sweet departure because the most recent company I worked for was great. Awesome people, vacation time, and benefits. It would have been easier to walk away if the company was just not a good fit. However, I knew I had to fulfill my destiny lol and start working for myself full time.
August was a pretty special month because I actually began making money from my blog for the first time. I’d read about other people monetizing and being able to replace their income from a full time job, but I was skeptical. Then it happened for me and I decided to start REALLY putting my blood, sweat, and tears into my blog. If you have ever considered blogging full time, I have a whole tab dedicated to how you can get started. Check it out here: https://www.megandmayfield.com/category/how-to-start-a-blog/
Eventhough the brick and mortar for MPrint does not open until December 1st I need the next 90 days to prepare for full time entrepreneurship. I have spent the last few weeks writing, filming, scheduling content, AND doing Blog Consultations. This was a hidden gem for me as I did not expect to love helping other ladies out with getting their blogs monetized but it has been a HUGE perk for me.
7 Things I Did Before I Quit My Job
- Prayed– In the video I linked in this post I discuss how I had to completely surrender myself to God and just ask that His will be done. I knew I had a vision but I needed guidance. The major part leaving my job was the fact that I would no longer have a paycheck. All of the money I make from Blogging and MPrint will be reinvested in my businesses. At that time God spoke to me and said “If this was easy everyone would do it” so I have faith that everything will work out!
- Budgeted– My husband and I sat down and looked at the numbers to make sure everything made sense with us solely operating on his income. Due to our low monthly expenses we are able to make our finances work and that in itself is a blessing.
- Discussed with Spouse– Markaus and I are different in terms of what we look for in a job. He wants to work and dip out at 5 whereas I have an emotional attachment to the work that I do. I want to make a difference in the world and I will be able to do that with working for myself. He said he views work different but he understands where I’m coming from and what I want to accomplish. So I agreed once we get everything off the ground he can become a Stay at Home Dad which is like his DREAM!
- Went on Vacation– I removed myself from the comfort of my home and went away with my sisters. I enjoyed myself and relaxed because when I came home there would be a new Megan in town. I needed to put myself in the right head space mentally and that was apart of my #selfcare for the month.
- Revamped Website– If you have been rocking with me for a while you will notice that my blog got a facelift! I decided I was going to choose an aesthetic that fit my personality. I LOVE classic black and white + minimalist design. I think my blog is a wonderful reflection of me! With MPrint I went and took every item down. I will be slowly uploading to the website in preparation for our opening in December.
- Talked with the Kids– We explained to the kids we would be undergoing some lifestyle changes and needed them to understand we would all be making sacrifices in order for Mommy to be around more and also to get the businesses off the ground. They were so excited about me being able to take and pick them up from school that I’m 99% sure they tuned EVERYTHING else out.
- Made a Pros/Cons List– The ONLY con was my paycheck. And we could work around that!
If you have ever thought about starting your own business, make a plan, stick to it, and run with it! The world needs more people with creative visions to step forward! Personally, I knew that if I were to stay with my previous company right up until December when the store opened, I probably would have thought of SO many reasons why I shouldn’t leave. I knew in order to be successful with my blog and MPrint I needed to take the 3 months I had and perfect my skills as a Content Creator, and I needed that time with my family as well. Feel free to reach out to me if you need someone to give you a pep talk and just speak life into your vision. That’s what I’m here for!
Pleas let me know if you are interested in creating a plan to monetize your blog and start earning an income. I was able to reach monetization in 8 months and I am more than willing to step in and help you become successful as well. I can be reached at TheMayfieldEstate@gmail.com for business inquiries.
I have been working for myself full time for almost two weeks now and I absolutely love it! The only issue is trying to find balance with cutting myself off knowing I have SO much to do. I know eventually I will get a handle on this, and don’t worry…when I do I will blog about it lol. Let me know in the comments below if you are a full time entrepreneur and what your company is. I would love to check your business out.
Thanks for reading!