Secrets to Becoming a Full-Time Blogger
It’s crazy to think about the fact that in today’s job market, we really have the ability to create the life we want. We all don’t have to work in a corporate job if that is not the profession for us. As long as you know what your vision and your passion is, you can create a lifestyle that is pleasing to you and your family. Now, I do understand that Blogging is NOT for everyone. So let’s just make that clear. My husband has said numerous times he likes the “secured bag” more than the one you have to go out there and get. We are total opposites if you can’t tell already.
If you have just started blogging, or you’re thinking about becoming a blogger and turning it into your full time job, this post was made for you! Just incase you’re new here, I am going to give you a brief rundown of my life before blogging so you can see this too is a possibility for you.
I worked in Corporate America for around 8 years with various jobs in Logistics. I knew I was called to do something more with my life, but at the time I couldn’t figure out what that “more” was. I had my third child, a baby girl named Amiyah and my life changed. I no longer wanted to be sitting behind a desk crunching numbers for someone else. I wanted to be at home with my children creating the life that I wanted. The first day I took her to daycare I only worked a half day because I couldn’t stand us being apart. I knew then and there a change had to happen amongst my family. When my husband got home from work I burst into tears because while Baby was sleeping I was crunching numbers to see how it would make sense for us financially so I could stay home with my new baby. At that time, it wasn’t in God’s plan for me to be a Stay at Home Mom. But he did give me another option that was JUST as good. A position in the Intermodal Department opened up as an Overnight Manager. I would work 3 12 hour shifts and have 4 days off. Which meant I would get to be home with the kids and there when they got home from school. This schedule worked for our family for a while, but my husband started missing me at night and it was a huge strain on our marriage. My hours were from 6PM-6AM for those three days and it was not easy, but it was a sacrifice.
On one of my off days I started to think of what the life I loved would look like and several ideas came to mind:
- I wanted a life of flexibility where I would be able to be present with the three kids.
- I wanted a life where my husband and I could travel at a moments notice.
- I wanted a life where I could make money doing something that I loved and I was passionate about.
At the time I had been writing here and there, but not taking it seriously. I decided it was time for me to put in the work and start creating the life I wanted. But it wasn’t going to be easy. You see as much as I loved the last company I worked for it was hard for me to adjust mentally to not making that income anymore. However, I knew in my heart that this was a vision God gave me not to just sit on but to act on as well. I decided August 2018 would be my last day in the Corporate world, and I haven’t looked back since.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. I like to be completely transparent with my users when these links are used.
Ok, enough about me now let’s get into the knitty gritty of becoming a full time Blogger and the tips that go along with it!
- First you will need to decide what you want to blog about. It needs to be a niche that no matter what you won’t run out of advice or discussion regarding this topic. I chose to be a Lifestyle Blogger because it really encompasses EVERYTHING. I can blog about relationships, parenting, beauty, fashion, finances, and food just to name a few and have an open dialogue with my readers about all of these topics.
- You also need to set up a self hosted blogging website which you can get started with HERE. I love having a self hosted website where I can decide the placement of my ads, aesthetic, and style of my blog posts.
- Bomb images. Go with me here. Your number 4 tip is going to be focused around Pinterest. On Pinterest people will click on images, titles, and words that resonate with them. It is extremely important to pick images that are going to appeal to your ideal audience. You can get started with your FREE PicMonkey trial here.
- Pinterest. Pinterest is going to be your best friend when it comes to Blogging. Pinterest is geared towards SEO and it is important you get familiar with this platform. Make sure you set up a business account and a detailed profile description. Also make sure you create around 10 boards around your niche and start pinning to those immediately.
- One of the best parts of becoming a blogger full time is the ability to make money in your sleep. When I want to take some time off or vacation with Markaus and the kids Tailwind is literally my best friend. This app allows you to go in and schedule pins related to your Pinterest Content. I can go without touching my phone or computer for days and not have to worry about my income. Even when you don’t have plans to go on vacation for an extended amount of time utilizing Tailwind for your workday can save you HOURS of manually pinning is a lifesaver.
- Tip #6 is probably the one that most Bloggers will say they wish they would have incorporated sooner into their blogging strategy. You need to start building your email list. These are the loyal supporters who will purchase products from you when start creating courses. Subscribers are so important and essential to your Blogging Business. I love using ConvertKit because getting set up with them is super easy. On top of that you can set up emails for ecourses you create and so much more. They allow you to personalize your opt-in design and that is REALLY important to me. Start building your email list now! 🙂
- Respond to emails and comments. Guys, these are your people. It’s rude not to respond to the people who are interested in your products and content. Carve out some time everyday to respond to any comments or inquiries.
- Make a schedule. Since Blogging is now your full time job you need to make sure at the least you are pumping out a post a week.
- Create A/B/C/D images and titles for your blog posts. When the time comes you can go in and see which pin is working best for your post and recycle it!
- Last but not least start thinking about creating a course you can sell on Teachable. Brainstorming topics or courses you can teach others to master where you’re an expert is key. A lot of people think you have to have 300,000 page views a month and a partnership with MediaVine to generate a significant income from Blogging. While both of these are NICE additions to your income it does not have to be the primary source. Creating courses surrounding topics you have a ton of knowledge about and can ideally help others is where you can earn a bulk of your blogging income. Teachable allows you to structure your courses as you see fit and come up with ideal pricing as well.
I hope these 10 Tips were extremely helpful to either get you on the path of becoming a full time Blogger or giving you information to start blogging. Feel free to reach out to me firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have! Make sure you drop your comments below!
Oh yeah and something else I wanted to share with you guys. Blogging can open the door to SO much more in your life and you can have multiple passions. I have always been super passionate about fashion and I was able to snag a Boutique space for my store MPrint Boutique here I am able to run all of my online businesses and focus on doing what I love.
I hope this has been an inspiration to get the ball rolling for some of you! Have a great day.
Most Popular Posts
Follow Me 🙂
Thanks for reading!